We are witnessing early stages of Green Technology and we have ventured into this arena as well as other environment friendly projects as evidenced by the following initiatives:
As part of our commitment for our Green Economy we have signed a Participation Agreement with Bangladesh Bank under refinance scheme on August 10, 2011 for lending in Solar Energy, Bio- Gas, Effluent Treatment Plant & Hybrid Hoffman Kiln (HHK).
- Financing to the tune of Tk. 39.3 million to SSL Ceramic Bricks Ltd. towards setting up of Brick manufacturing project using HHK technology with a capacity of manufacturing 0.84 million bricks per month.
- Financing to the tune of Tk. 346.81 million to EETA & Tiles to produce brick using HHK Technology which has the capacity to manufacture 66,000,000 pieces of brick per year which will reduce approximately 22,000 tons of CO2 yearly.
- Financing of Tk. 180.12 million to H. Auto Bricks Limited which envisages of setting of a modern, environment friendly & energy efficient Brick Manufacturing project utilizing Hybrid Hoffmann Kiln Technology with a capacity of 120,000 pieces auto bricks per day.
- Bank Asia also financed Tk. 207.80 million (funded Tk. 191.10 million and non- funded Tk. 157.80 million) to Auto-bricks & Ceramics Pvt. Ltd., a sister concern of RAK Group, which envisages of setting up a Brick manufacturing project with the Tunnel Kiln technology which is the most energy efficient technology in this industry across the world. The project will have a production capacity of 1, 00,000 pieces of brick per day.
- In the first nine month of this year (2012) we have lent Tk. 6,040.45 million for 37 projects having installation of Effluent Treatment Plant that will help to reduce the discharge of untreated factory waste water into the rivers. Earlier Bank Asia’s client Echotex Ltd. achieved the “National Environment Award 2010” for environment pollution control by establishing Bank Asia financed Effluent Treatment Plant (ETP) and was awarded by Honorable Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
- In 2011, Bank Asia disbursed an amount of Tk. 96.43 million through rural Branches and NGOs for cultivating various types of crops which benefitted around 6,576 farmers and during the first nine months of 2012 we have disbursed Tk. 237.05 million to 16,655 farmers, which helps sequestration of Carbon.
- Bank Asia as the Lead Arranger is in the process of raising fund under Syndication arrangement for establishing paper converting bag manufacturing plant for Propac Ltd. and Packaging World Ltd. These will be the first of its kind of industry in our country for producing and exporting environmental friendly food bags to USA & Canada -the biggest markets for the products. The entrepreneurs have taken necessary steps to maintain high standards of manufacturing process to meet stringent quality standards of these markets. These projects would promote green banking initiatives through low carbon emitting production process, as recycled papers would be used as raw materials for production of finished goods, leading to conservation of trees. In this two projects Bank Asia has approved financing of Tk. 200.00 million.